Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon adopted and the Township was planned in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph attained its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Town was included in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their agenda in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a general public well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a difficulty and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was prepared, which is currently the St. Joseph Fireplace Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the young families after multiple many years here of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering enough time to milk cows so more time could be allocated to crops and dog care. Soon after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to deal with.
After the battle ended individuals were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at check here least for a while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Along with the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to adhere together as part of your. Through a federal government offer, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the united states into World War 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph possessed a inhabitants of around 1050, losing 10 heroic troops to the warfare. The community continued to be strong and continuing to enhance the Community, adding a normal water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph commenced fluoridating its drinking water supply, and remains to do so.